Thursday, August 14, 2008

柯宗耀Michael Kwah Chong Yeow



















Profession: Part time model & student
Birthplace: SingaporeHeight: 175 cm, Weight: 63kg , Star sign: Taurus
Favorite Hobbies: Taekwondo & Playing musical instruments eg. Organ, Piano, Guitar

Being an introverted and extremely shy kid from young, he never dreamt that one day he could become a model or an actor. But it all started out couples of years ago, with Shine models & talent agency, whom taught him the ropes of becoming a talent model & about realizing that self-confidence within and unleashing that potential in life. From then on, he was scouted by other agencies and his media adventure began as a fashion runway model for brands labels like Bodyknit, Levi, L’Oreal & Toni&Guys, Jean Pierre & other labels brands etc for Singapore Fashion festivals, did for Mediacorp ch8 drama <爱情零度C> and becos of his fresh he was further selected to do by corporate clients & productions to do hair shows, corporate videos , studios websites shoots and magazines articles for 8 days/ Her World/ U weekly / Zao Bao etc.

His acting journey started when he was selected by Pro-Action Production to take up a challenging role as one of the main cast in their upcoming Aug thriller movie <靈問> and also recently was selected for another minor role in Royston’s upcoming Aug movie
<十二莲花> . Currently holding a full time job in the corporate world & taking a part time Banking & Finance honor degree with University of London, it’s pretty hard for him to balance his schedule but he believe, with God, all his friends’ support & strong determination, he can accomplish anything. And He is really glad that He had taken the 1st step to break out of his comfort zone as now He’s really living my life to the fullest!
Roles in This Movie :-
1) Describe your feelings in this movie?

It’s just hard to express in words, as it’s a total mixture of excitement & anxiety! This movie is just like the adventure of Harry potter series in Chinese version! Haha...I remember when I was ten, I was always fascinated with the idea of imaginary magical beings & places, existing in this world with us & now it’s just like a childhood dream come true! I get to act in a movie that is filled with magic, normal human beings with supernatural powers, ghosts, fairies, heaven & hell-like creatures etc!

Having the idea that you get the power to predict the future through a magical book, & pursuing a quest adventure to find out the great mystical power that lie within that book, it just give any normal ordinary person a sense of empowerment, to be someone different for a change!

2) What is your character in this movie?

I acted as a poor struggling college student, Sam, trying to make ends meet in life, & happen to know one of his customer, Ben & eventually develop feelings for him. Sam is not an outwardly emotional character but his love for Tom is true, essentially, he's like a homophobic male in love with another man. He's very fixed in his ways but he hates the way he loves as it's forbidden, & that left him lingering between the roles.

Due to unforeseen circumstances in life, he became that ‘right-hand’ man or ‘side-kick’ of a young talented wizard, Tom (acted by Ben Ng) in search of his missing father (renowned wizard in the School of magic) & his life destiny to wield the power to bring the balance between the good & evil in the world!

Ben & I are just like “Daniel Radcliffe” & “Rupert Grint” in Harry potter movie! But what I didn’t expect is when our director Benny foo put that little “BrokeBackmountain” twist into the movie by making “Rupert Grint” to have feelings for “Daniel Radcliffe”….

Director Benny asked me to keep it a secret so I shouldn’t comment too much till the firm is out on big screen. But ahem…there is one single lovemaking scene between me and Ben which can be quite tricky. I consider myself a straight frank person, and I'll openly admit that when young, I did thought of a fantasy's of a male relationship other than just your average male bonding relationship. I DO think that this has gone on since the beginning of time, people just don't "talk" about it. It's good to get it out in the open for people to actually think about the topic but eventually throughout the filmin, Ben & I had to remind ourselves many times that we are honest straight guys from head to toe!

It was a bit psychologically difficult at first in this guy-guy lovemaking scene, but everything turned out to be fine, after we had overcome our inner “demons”. At times during filming, when we looked uncomfortably eye-to-eye with each other, we always remind ourselves, “Remember, we like girls, we are straight…we like girls, we are straight…”
3. You come from an English-speaking background, what was it like for you starring in a Mandarin film?

When Director Benny approached me with this role, I was pretty excited & nervous at the same time! As my friends know, since young, I come from a Engilsh-speaking background & had always been communicating in English with all my friends, teachers, colleagues & family & never once in Mandarin. Now in this movie, I had to stop speaking English all at once & start communicating in fluent Mandarin & memorizing & pronouncing a whole bunch of profound Mandarin scripts fluently throughout the whole movie, is a total nightmare & tedious process for me! Every night, I had to bring my script with me to sleep, just dreaming & memorizing my lines & my fellow actors’ lines too, in order to relate & flow in with their scenes. Facing the pressure of my fluent Mandarin speaking co-actors & production’s tight filming schedule, I had to keep up to speed real fast!

It was tough at first with sleepless nights but with patient guidance & support from the director, production people & casts, it’s really a joy filming in this movie & it brings a great sense of achievement at the end of the day, when you realized you can actually live up to the director’s expectation & what your role required of you.

4. How did you prepare for the role in this film?

I believe it’s that determination of not giving up & going all the way to pursue my dream in acting, that keep me going in preparing for this challenging role in this film. In this movie, there are couples of challenges that I’ve faced, & it is not just the language barrier but also my role as Ben’s male “lover”…ha! We had quite a couple of intimate scenes, which we had to express emotions and feelings that are more than your average male bonding relationships eg. the hot massage scene & the bed scene with him etc & these are some of the scenes we find it tough to relate with.

It was psychologically difficult at first in that guy-guy lovemaking scene, but everything turned out to be fine, after we had overcome our inner “demons” & furthermore we did lot of homework like watching tons of male & male bonding Hongkong films together to study their characters/emotions/behaviors, & practicing the “moves” in bed together as we cannot afford to be shy or NG too many times. It was darn embarrassing & hilarious at times as Ben & I are so good buddies & we had never been so close to each other & touching each other all over before~ On the set, we spent around 7-8hrs just filming that bed scene & Ben’s more of a initiator at times, so I just need to flow in with his moves. At the end of the day, we are just so relieved that we managed to get it right.

No comments: